Hashtags: #covid19 #CoronaVirus #nCov
What is Covid-19?
Covid-19 is the official name of the Corona Virus Disease 2019 (previously, nCov-19) that is thought to be an infectious disease caused by SARS-CoV-2 virus. It is like the SARS virus that hit the world in 2003. It is believed to be transmitted from animals specifically bats to humans. According to scientific studies and from the experts, it spreads from people to people by the small droplets coming from an infected individual transmitted by coughing or breathing the air with the virus exposure.
What are the symptoms of Covid-19?
Infected individuals will have fever, cough and shortness of breath. Worst case would lead to pneumonia and multi-organ failure. Easily affected are those with weak immune system like babies, children, elderly and the already sick patients.
Signs of the symptoms will show around 2 to 14 days upon infection. It is highly suggested that individuals with the symptoms or considered to be PUI (person under investigation) should do a self-quarantine at an exclusive facility or away from the public.
How is affected individuals managed?
Those diagnosed with the the virus disease will be given medical care like medicines for fever, cough, or supportive care. As of this writing, February 2020, there are no available antiviral drugs to combat the said infectious disease. However, scientist all over the world are trying to develop a vaccine the soonest time possible. Series of testing and experiments have been conducted worldwide by medical experts.
The epicenter of the Covid-19 outbreak is in Wuhan, the capital city in the province of Hubei in PR China. Around 80K confirmed cases are found in the central city as of February 2020. The number continues to grow, day by day.
How do we prevent from contracting the disease?
Let me give you a list that I think is helpful for everyone to avoid the disease.
1. Frequently wash hands with soap and water.
2. Always keep a handy alcohol or hand sanitizer at all times.
3. Avoid touching the eyes, nose and mouth if hands are unclean.
4. Take vitamins like vitamin C and B-complex to boost the immune system.
5. Take a hot shower at least once everyday.
6. Cover the mouth when you sneeze or cough in public.
7. If sick, wear a mask. Stay at home or seek medical care right away.
8. Eat healthy foods and hydrate with water.
1. As much as possible, avoid public places or attending events. Better safe to be at home.
2. Don't touch metal objects or handrails when in malls or public toilets.
3. Always clean your bags, mobile phones, wallet, keys and anything you have with alcohol when you have outside exposure when commuting to work or buying groceries.
4. When you sneeze or cough, cover the mouth with a tissue and dispose discharges to the trash bin immediately. Or better wear a mask too in public areas.
5. Better cancel trips or have plane tickets refunded for now and rethink to plan your next vacation. Traveling this time maybe risky especially to China and other infected regions.
Filipinos are advised to keep a thorough personal hygiene by always taking a bath and frequent washing of hands.
My personal suggestion that my fellow Pinoys here in the Philippines may adapt to is to double dose on vitamin C. From the recommended 500 mg per day, make it 1000 mg per day. Take 1 capsule in the morning, and 1 at night after a meal. I'm personally taking Sodium Ascorbate (Ritemed brand) that I bought from Watson's. I can take it without food. It is equivalent to Ascorbic Acid -Vit C. If the budget allows, take further vitamins and minerals to boost the immune system.
Always drink water, distilled if possible. Keep a healthy diet by making sure to have vegetables and fruits every meal.
Exercise regularly. A simple brisk walking for at least 15 minutes every day is a big help. When at the gym, always sanitize before and after using the equipment. And take a hot shower after the workout.
Keep a handy alcohol with you all the time. 70% alcohol is suggested. Or if you have hand sanitizers that are found in drugstores, tag one with you. And make sure to frequently wash hands with soap and water. There are a lot of antibacterial soaps available in the market. I would suggest to also wash your face on midday.
Filipinos love entertainment like singing our hearts out in a videoke. I think this kind of past time should be avoided as using the microphone from one person to another could be a hygiene issue and will risk your self in getting the virus. Better think of another way to have fun. Reduce physical contact. Kissing or having sex might be prohibited. LOL! hahahaha.
How can you connect with me?
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/hersheykissesme/
Sealed with a kiss,